Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Estonian Lace

Here is the mohair shawl-scarf I knitted for mom. Those familiar with Estonian lace would know of nupps. A nupp is a bobble-like feature used in many Estonian lace patterns. However, I had great difficulty succeeding to knit the nupps with mohair so switched to classic bobbles. I only used the bobbles for the edging pattern and then used them for the first motif round at the main body, then used beads (size 9) instead for the succeeding three motif rounds and knitted the rest of the body plain.

I used two different patterns from the book Knitted Lace of Estonia by Nancy Bush. The edging pattern is from the Crown Prince Square Shawl and the main pattern of Peacock Tail & Leaf Scarf. Thus, calling my version Prince Peacock Scarf :)

Mohair in my opinion so far, is the most difficult yarn to knit. I personally would never ever again use so fine mohair with complicated patterns. Close to impossible to undo if you've knitted wrong especially a few rows. Mohair tangles up easily and needs a lot of patience to unravel.



Beads could be seen below ...





Edging from : Crown Prince Square Shawl



Body from : Peacock Tail & Leaf Scarf




No comments: